Thanksgiving is a very special holiday. A time to be with loved ones and to give thanks. To make the event even more special, try creating a truly memorable Thanksgiving table. Here are a few tips to get you going:
- Add a tablecloth and runner to raise the glamour quotient.
- Make napkin rings sparkle (and give them as gifts to your guests): Using glitter glue, write guests’ initials on individual ornaments. Place a ribbon through each ornament, and tie the ribbon around a cloth napkin.
- Create centerpieces with warm autumn colors: a still-life of different-sized gourds; a collection of pears, apples, chestnuts, pine cones and leaves in a wire or rattan bowl; sunflowers in a wide, short glass vase.
- Create candle centerpieces: try boring out the center of seasonal fruits and vegetables, like apples, pears and miniature pumpkins, and placing small candles inside. Scatter a number of candles down the length of the table for a sophisticated autumnal setting.
- Add the unexpected: In addition to your best china, for example, put a couple of contemporary plates or bowls on the table to hold some of your side dishes.
- For a beautiful presentation of your turkey, adorn it with a mix of seasonal fruits and nuts around the edges of the serving plate.
- Spread the party out: Clear a desktop or other surface in a nearby room for a dessert buffet.
- Offer everyone the opportunity to write down what they’re thankful for on tags. They can then tie the tags to branches and stems of fall foliage that you’ve put into a tall vase at one end of the buffet table.
The Kids’ Table:
- Cover the table in brown craft paper or newsprint. Secure tightly under the sides with tape. Set crayons or non-toxic/non-permanent markers in colorful plastic cups that sit between place settings. Encourage kids to draw on the paper, and to color printable turkey masks, or complete Thanksgiving-themed mad libs and word searches.
- For a collection of Thanksgiving activities, kids projects and crafts, check out the Woo Jr. website.
Blog post by the Joyce Lebedew Real Estate Team.